Sunday, May 31, 2009

Checking Out

I received a letter in the post on Friday indicating that the checkout for my flat has been scheduled. Along with it was a list of notes of what will be done and the condition the flat needs to be in. In speaking with others I was aware that much more needs to be done when checking out of a flat here to ensure the security deposit is returned. Here is a list of some of the items:

Furntiure must be returned to their original places to avoid any charges for misplaced property or time spent finding and repositioning.

The flat needs to be cleaned to a professional standard. I have cleaners coming on Monday to give me quote as I knew this needed to be done. They property managers provided a list of items that are often missed.
  • Lime scale build up on taps and shower heads
  • Ceramic tiles in kitchens and bathrooms
  • Burned grease to ovens, grill pans, wire racks and hob burners
  • Kitchen units, cupboards and drawers - inside and out
  • Soap dispensers and filters of washing machines
  • All paint work
  • Fans and air vents
  • Ceiling/wall fittings, shades and bulbs (OK I have to ask who cleans light bulbs?)
  • Curtains and blinds
  • Carpets and flooring (another sections indicates that carpets should be professionally cleaned)
  • Upholstery
  • Linen (should be left cleaned and pressed)

They do make allowances for normal wear and tear of items but I will be very surprised if I get my entire deposit back as they seem rather picky.

  • Windows

2 comments:

Andy @ CresClub said...

Dawn, I have enjoyed every single trip you have taken. You have opened me to new sights and sounds. Thanks for letting me experience your adventures along with you. I don't think I would have eaten a lot of the food that you tried, though. Andy

Anonymous said...

No matter how you clean a rental, the service will find some items to charge so you do not get your full deposit.
Helped my brother in an apartment - cleaned the stove, oven and the bathroom very well and he still was charged for cleaning the stove oven and bathroom.