Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Made It

Wow my first blog as a re-pat. That just doesn't have the same ring to it as expat. First off let me apologize for not posting sooner but the Internet connection at my apartment is absolute crap. If you are ever tempted to go with a service from Clearwire run away don't do it. The speed has been worse than dial-up if I can even get a connection. Last night I did go out and get a Verizon wireless card and that works much, much better. Now on to the fun and exciting stuff.

The flight over from London was good I actually managed to sleep for a couple of hours on the plane and arrived feeling rather refreshed. I thought to myself this is good maybe I won't have jet lag. No such luck I've been getting up at 4 or 5 am every day since I arrived. Today I was shocked I actually slept in until 6:30.

The place I'm staying is very nice, I'll take some photos one of these days and get them uploaded. The only drawback is that the place is on top of a very steep hill. The last 3 blocks are the worst and am usually out of breath by the time I get to the apartment door. Of course by the time I get to the door I have also walked quite a distance. As I didn't rent a car I've been walking everywhere - earlier this week I was in training that was 1.7 miles from my house a nice 40 minute walk in the morning. I did cheat in the evenings and take either the bus or monorail to the Seattle Center and then walked from there.

Some of the many things I've been up to:
  • Unpacking
  • On Monday I traded in my UK mobile for a US mobile
  • Finding the important places grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc.
  • Looking at condos a rather discouraging endeavour - there are a few possibilities though
  • Getting pre-approved for a mortgage
  • Figuring out the buses

Today was my first day officially in the office. It is a little odd being in a cube. I haven't worked in a cube ever! All of my previous companies I was either working from home or there was an open or semi-open floor plan. Some of the perks of being in the office today I was given a $10 gift card to the cafe across the street as a new employee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the colonies.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the apartment.

One good thing about walking all over is that you will be getting into shape without having to join a fitness center.

You should look for a good masseuse to deal with your sore muscles.

Dad

QY said...

congratulations!!
good luck!