Thursday, April 24, 2008

Disappointment

For those of you who thought you were going to log on to my blog today and hear all about my thoughts of the Forbidden City I am sorry to disappoint. Instead I decided it was "Potty Time." Yes that's right another post dedicated to bathrooms, loos, the can whatever it is you call it.

Yesterday I had to do a double take when I walked into the restroom and instead of a toilet there was a hole in the floor, OK it was more than a hole it was a ceramic basin in the floor. I quickly remember hearing from friends that this is typical in China. I quickly realized that in public places the outside of the stall will either show somebody squatting or a picture of a toilet so you know what the stall contains. I can't imagine using a toilet like that when drunk! I unfortunately did not take a picture of the toilet - I draw the in at taking photographs in public restrooms. However taking a picture of the outside of a public toilet is fair game.

The sign outside one of the toilets at The Forbidden City made me laugh and I just had to take a picture of it. I sort of feel sorry for the person who has the enviable job of rating toilets. I wonder if all toilets have a rating and what are the criteria to earn 4 stars.

No comments: