I should learn to trust my instincts. I knew that something would go wrong with my moving in today and sure enough I was correct. When I arrived to pay my deposit I was informed that they couldn't take my debit card unless it had a chip. They need either cash or a "chip and pin" system to accept payment. If I paid with my debit card I needed to sign and the funds wouldn't be cleared for 3 days.
Needless to say I was a bit upset by the turn of events. Had I been told earlier in the week I would have been able to get the cash. It turns out that estate agents are very untrustworthy here or people looking to rent are untrustworthy. Agents need to make sure that funds have cleared since one could cancel a payment before funds have been transferred.
After the disaster at the agents I checked into a hotel and decided to make the most of it. I headed to a pub for a drink and lunch. Wondered around Chiswick while I tried to figure out how to get the funds I needed. Luckily before I left Boston I added my sister to my bank account so she went to try and wire funds to the agents. While Amy was at the bank I went to Sainsbury to buy dinner - Wine. I wasn't too keen on drinking wine out of coffee mugs or plastic cups from the hotel, luckily Sainsubry had 4 wine glasses for 88 pence.
Unfortunately the bank needed a swift number which the agents didn't have the accounts department who have that information were not in on Saturday. Since the wire transfer wouldn't work we looked into Western Union. At first it appeared that I would be able to wire myself the money. Amy and I started filling out the form and given the way my day has been going a message popped up that only $900 could be transferred which was not going to help.
Tomorrow I head into London to get a cash advance. It will cost a little bit more but I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place, given that it's the weekend and I have to go to Amsterdam next week.