Monday, October 5, 2015

In the blink of an eye

It is hard to believe that 1 year ago today we headed up a mountain, packed up three cars and came home with junior.  Life as we knew it would never be the same, and I love it.  Before we got in the car he asked us what he should call us, we told him that he could call us whatever he was comfortable.  On the drive down he was talking non-stop, telling stories and he said something about mom.  I didn't respond and he then tells me "I said mom and you didn't answer."  Uh-oh, I thought I just blew it.   I didn't hear him call me mom for about 2 months after that. Luckily he didn't hold that against me forever.

The last year has not been easy and there were times along the way that I wasn't sure we had made the right decision and if we would make it.  Thanks to an amazing team of people, our therapists, social workers, GAL, teachers & aides, and the support and encouragement from our family and friends we did.

When we have setbacks at school or he almost got kicked out of camp it is hard to not focus on the negatives; I just have to keep remembering the progress he has made.   Hearing from a previous foster mom that he looks happier than she has ever seen him, or having a friend tell me how nice it is that he now plays on his own instead of having to be constantly entertained remind me that we have come a long way.

This last week hasn't been an easy one, I realized that not only is it the anniversary of his becoming part of our family and his birthday, this also marks the 2 year mark since he last saw his birth mom.   Even though we don't talk about the anniversaries it seems he instinctively know.  There have been a lot of questions lately about his birth mom, tears over how unfair life is, and questions to other moms about whether their children grew in their tummies as he tries to process everything that is going on.

We remind him that he is a very special boy - he has 4 moms and 3 dads that love him and want what's best for him and he is just like Superman.





No comments: