Thursday, December 4, 2008

So Close and Yet So Far

I'm gutted that for the second time in less than 7 days I've been less than 30 minutes from a friend was in the same country I was and yet haven't been able to see them. Over the weekend a friend I used to work with flew to the UK to see a rugby game. The tailgate pub was 2 miles from my house but unfortunately I was too busy trying to get Thanksgiving dinner ready that I wasn't able to go.

Today I found out that a friend of mine from Boston was in Paris, which is where I'm writing this from. Given the short notice and the fact that she didn't have a mobile we weren't able to connect. Facebook is what informed me that both of these people were so close and yet so far. This has gotten me to thinking how Facebook has changed the way things are. In the past I'm sure there have been people I know the next town over or in the same city but I never would have known. With Facebook sharing up to the minute information on where you are and what you're doing you start to realize what you're missing out on. If I didn't know friends were in the same town I was,it wouldn't matter, but knowing people were so close makes me a little homesick. On the plus side only 21 more days until I'm back in the US and able to catch up in person with many friends.

No comments: