Sunday, January 22, 2017

Looking back and forward

10 years ago today I wrote my first blog post.  When I started it was a way for me to share information on my travels and life living abroad with family and friends back home. This was before the days of Facebook, well maybe it existed but it wasn’t used as widely as it is today.   As my life changed the blog did as well.   I never imagined when I started this blog how big a part of my life it would be today – not personally, but professionally.   I don’t blog as much personally but now a big part of my job is to blog.  Maybe because I spend so much of my days writing for work, I’m burnt out at the end of the day.   Or maybe I’m burnt out at the end of the day because I am now wrangling a cat, a dog, a husband and an 8 year old. 

It’s strange to look back over the last 10 years and think about how much things have changed.   That one tiny decision I made to move to London has changed my life in many ways.   Had I never left Boston, I may have never moved to Seattle.   If I didn’t move to Seattle I would not have met Dave.  If I hadn’t met Dave I would not have moved to Colorado.  If I didn’t move to Colorado, junior would not be my son.   Were the last 10 years all great, no.  There were some definite hardships and tears but today there is no place else I would rather be.  (Disclaimer:  right now I’m sitting in an airport getting, heading out on a business trips.  There are many places I would rather be than at the airport, but you know what I mean).  


Through these moves I have met some amazing people, developed lasting friendships, and learned a great deal about myself.   Sitting here thinking about the past, I can’t help but think of the future.  Not knowing what the future holds is always a scary thing for me.   While I am scared I am also hopeful and optimistic.  One of our family traditions at bed time is to discuss what our favorite part of the day is.  Even when a day is dreary and miserable we have to focus on the positive.   To dwell on the negatives is not good.   I will continue to take risks, speak my mind, and attempt to be a positive influence to others.   I may even blog about it.     

1 comment: