- The paperwork - oh wait no we still have paperwork ahead of us in terms of tracking visits, medications, and countless other stuff.
- The presence of strangers in our home ensuring we will be good parents - nope that continues as well. We will likely have more people through our home to ensure we are doing a good job.
- The training - ugh not that either, we have continuing education to do over the course of the year and for every year that we are foster parents.
- The waiting - yeah right - longer rights are ahead of us.
- The uncertainty - will this happen, when will this happen, how will the kid(s) react. Yeah lots of uncertainty ahead.
Sheesh it seems like we haven't done anything in the last 6 months. That clearly isn't true here's what we have done:
- Attended informational meetings
- Selected an agency
- Completed 2 rounds of paperwork
- Attended first aid and CPR training
- Attended foster parent training
- Completed 3 home study visits/interviews
- Child proofed our home - purchased fire escape ladders, fire extinguishers, safety locks for cabinets, covers for electrical outlets, fixed our back deck.
- Got fingerprinted
- Passed federal and state background checks
- Physicals for me & Dave
- Got certificates of health for Paddy and Koda and made sure they were up to date on shots
- Prepared information and collected photos for our profile
and this just goes to show that this is a continually evolving process with no end in sight.
What does keep me going these days is we officially have a profile completed that is being sent out to social workers and we can now submit inquiries on available children. I'm anxious to see where this goes and a little nervous to actually send off our first inquiries.